Lower back pain is a common problem. There are many causes for lower back pain, including arthritis, injury, muscle straining or tightness, compression fractures and spondylolisthesis (slippage of the vertebrae). While lower back pain rarely needs surgery, other simple measures — such as ice, mild painkillers, physical therapy and exercise — may help. In our condition management program, we offer the opportunity for individuals suffering from lower back pain to get help learning to control their condition.
Our condition management nurses are ready to help individuals suffering with lower back pain learn to cope by:
- Increasing knowledge of lower back pain
- Providing strategies to slow disease progression and allow for self-management and lifestyle changes
- Help managing co-morbid conditions that may develop from lower back pain (such as anxiety or depression)
- Review current medications and treatments
- Help to develop personal goals and successful strategies to manage lower back pain